PROCEDURE RELATING TO THE SUPPORT OF THESIS
Thesis jury proposal : (From 4 to 8 members)
– address to the secretariat of the doctoral school, a proposal of jury including 2 external reviewers to ED and Unistra, obligatorily with a HDR (if not HDR it will be necessary to transmit the CV of the rapporteur) and at least 1 internal examiner (HDR or, failing this, the thesis supervisor), using the form provided (pdf) for this purpose (word version),
– the jury will be composed of 4 to 6 members. Up to 8 members are allowed as part of an international co-direction or co-tutelle,
– half of the jury must be composed of professors or similar,
– half of the jury must be made up of personalities from outside the research unit, the Doctoral College of Site, ie outside the Doctoral School of the candidate and all the institutions of the site “University of Strasbourg”,
– the external reviewers must not have joint publications with the candidate,
– as far as possible, the jury must allow a balanced representation of women and men,
– Invited members must not appear on the jury proposal as they are not part of the jury.
PLEASE NOTE : An electronic version of your jury proposal, thesis summary + training certificates must be sent in 1 single pdf file by the submission deadlines indicated below to to the secretariat of the doctoral school (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to the education department (email@example.com) Mrs Fayza FALLAH at the latest on the following dates:
24 November 2023, 26 February 2024, 07 May 2024, 21 Jne 2024, 01 September 2024 et 22 November 2024
For a defense at the earliest two months after the meeting of the educational committee which takes place ten days after the above dates.
– send to Mrs. Fayza FALLAH a hard copy and an electronic copy (.pdf attached to an email) of the thesis summary in French (3 to 4 pages) for distribution in the institution.
– The summary will include the list of publications to which his work has given rise (with the names of all authors), participation in conferences (oral or poster), the list of modules taught at the ED during the thesis and the corresponding certificates.
Reminder : It is mandatory to use the front cover and the back cover of the University of Strasbourg.
Attention: For the defenses planned between August 19 and September 6, the deposit of the proposal of jury will have to be made to May 17 2019
– send a copy of his thesis to each reviewer and each member of the jury after validation of the jury proposal by the director of the Doctoral School and the president of the University.
3 weeks before the defense date
– send by e-mail a copy of his thesis in pdf format to the Department at the Pôle Scolarité (Mrs Fayza FALLAH : 03 68 85 13 94, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
– inform Mrs. Fayza FALLAH of the date, time and place (building + room) of defense
At least 14 days before the defense
– send their reports, together with the form sent to them, to the Doctoral College of Site (46 Bld de la Victoire – 67000 STRASBOURG) to the attention of Mr Ali Amir. The authorization of defense is given by the president of the university on the advice of the management of the Doctoral School and in view of the favorable reports of the reviewers.
Attention: For the defenses planned between August 20th and September 1st, the rapporteurs’ reports must reach the doctoral college no later than July 16th.
Language of the thesis
The Doctoral College of the University of Strasbourg has established the following rules:
the writing in English or German is accepted for all theses, subject to an authorization granted by the director of the doctoral school (model).
the writing in another language must be done exclusively within the framework of a cotutelle of thesis.
in both cases, the manuscript must be written at least 10% of the totality (without the bibliography) in French.
the chairman of the jury is appointed by the members of the jury. He must be a teacher or equivalent and can not be the thesis supervisor. An emeritus can not chair a thesis jury.
exceptionally, a defense may include videoconferencing facilities. In this case, the members of the jury, with the exception of the president of the jury, may participate in the defense by these means, according to a procedure set up in the institution. Although formally, the presential is only mandatory for the candidate and the president of the jury, such a situation should be only exceptional and justified to the president of the university as soon as possible. In the case of defense including the videoconference, the president of the jury will necessarily be upstream of the date of the defense.
At the end of the presentation by the PhD student, the president of the jury gives priority to the reviewers.
deliberation (discussion, decision, report, signatures)
All members of the jury (thesis director (s) included) participate in the discussion phase (invited members are not official members of the jury, they do not participate in the deliberation). The thesis director (s) does not participate in the decision phase (level assessment, final decision on whether to award the doctorate). On the other hand, he (they) sign (s) the report of defense.
Procedures to be carried out after the defense
Mrs. Fayza FALLAH sends a letter to the candidate asking him to follow the : Electronic filing procedure
– deposit his documents on the counter “Deposit-Theses” (via his ENT tab “My file”) within one month if there are no corrections to be made to his manuscript, within three months if there are corrections to be made.
– The validation of the corrections must be certified by the thesis director or the president of the jury.
– The Doctoral Training Department and the SCD are responsible for putting the thesis online.
The school pole
Mrs. Fayza FALLAH provides a diploma certificate as long as the deposit is compliant.